Heard of SkillsFuture Singapore’s (SSG) annual Learning Festival over the past four years? This time, it is coming back bigger and better under a different name – SkillsFuture Festival!
From 30 June to 4 August 2018, there are going to be more than 350 learning activities island-wide targeted to reach out to 70,000 people. This is a bigger pool compared to the 30,000 participants last year.
SSG Chief Executive Ng Cher Pong assured at a media briefing on 21 June 2018 that is not a cosmetic change, but a concerted repositioning to amplify the festival and make it more inclusive.
“To make sure we reach out to different segments of the population, we have more than 200 partners. Not just the training providers, not just the institutes of higher learning. We are partnering companies, community entities like CDCs [Community Development Councils], and unions at NTUC. Where we are holding these activities are also not limited to places people usually associate with lifelong learning,” explained Mr Ng.
Events Not to Be Missed
Interested parties can visit SSG’s dedicated webpage here or log on to their newly-enhanced MySkillsFuture app for the full line-up. Below are some highlights.
- If you want to pick up a skill but don’t know what, you may want to check out the kick-off event on 30 June and 1 July, from 10am to 6pm. Held at the Lifelong Learning Institute, the event will showcase sampler courses as well as learning activities and games. That should give you some inspiration!
- For the busy bees, you will not want to miss these online learning deals – for the whole festival, there will be discounts for 350 Udemy courses and 80 e-book titles at McGraw-Hill Education. Additionally, you can get a free subscription to the entire e-library at bookboon.com!
- For professionals, be sure to join the forums co-organised by The Straits Times and SSG. Industry titans from the likes of Google, LinkedIn, Samsung and Deloitte will be there to discuss the future of work and skills. Otherwise, you can also look out for lunchtime talks and company visits under the SkillsFuture Festival Executive Series. Enterprises include trendsetters such as Rakuten, OCBC, SingPost, SATS and Fuji Xero!
- Coming near you are satellite festivals by Young NTUC, People’s Association and CDCs. For example, Bedok residents can learn to appreciate science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics through a series of fun energy-themed activities and demonstrations at the “Energy Day at Heartbeat”.
- It’s not going to be all work and no play. Just to list some, you can gear up for a lunar eclipse experience with your family at an overnight science camp on 27 and 28 July, up your game on Instagram with photography workshops by National Library Board, or even bring your parents or grandparents to the National Silver Academy Roadshow to uncover some learning and volunteering opportunities!