LabourBeat reader Goy Kae Lip trawls through over 65,000 courses to find three he likes. Best part: Use your SkillsFuture Credit to offset the cost for a few of these!
Good things must share right? Last time I checked, online learning platform Udemy was having yet another sale for many of their online courses. Courses that were priced over $100-$200+ were going for $17.99 or $22.99.
What was even better was that some (not all, so do read the details) of these courses allow you to use your SkillsFuture Credit. Recently, I enrolled for three courses at $17.99 each (two were SkillsFuture Credit-able). The SkillsFuture Credit has already credited the money into my bank account.
The other good thing is that you can learn at your own pace – start and stop the course anytime you want, repeat any chapters, learn on your laptop, handphone or iPad as the courses are mainly video-based.
Broad categories of online courses include: Development, Business, IT & Software, Office Productivity, Personal Development, Design, Marketing, Lifestyle, Photography, Health and Fitness, Teacher Training, Music, Academics and Language.
I found one of the online courses I took really useful. The Elevate Your Photography – Learn Essentials of Great Photos is not a course on the technical aspects of using a camera but more on the art of seeing things, people, our environment and capturing these in our images. The other two courses were on Digital Marketing and on WordPress.
Disclaimer: Not all courses / trainers / course materials may be good or be easy to understand. However, each course comes with a preview, giving you the chance to look-see and decide.
Editor’s Additions: Here’s a quick guide on how to claim Udemy course fees using your SkillsFuture Credit.
- Ensure that the course is eligible for Skillsfuture Credit at skillsfuture.sg/credit. Once you have found a course you are interested in, purchase the course on Udemy using your credit card or PayPal account. You can also purchase an approved course through the Udemy mobile app.
- Proceed to your Purchase History and download an e-receipt for the course purchase you made at Udemy. For steps on how to do this, refer to this article. Please note that if you purchased the course using Udemy’s mobile app, you can access a receipt for the transaction via your iTunes or Google Play account.
- Submit a claim for the course from your SkillsFuture Account:
- Login with SingPass at www.skillsfuture.sg/credit
- Follow the instructions to submit a claim from the SkillsFuture portal.
If you are an NTUC member, you can also take advantage of Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP), a training benefit that helps you defray the cost of training.
There are a variety of courses that are UTAP-eligible. You can search for courses according to industries or training providers.
You can find out more on Skills Upgrade for something that you may find interesting.